The Senior User Researcher will report to the Director of Customer Experience.
While most of our clients are in Alberta, you can be wherever in Canada you like.
What makes the difference between a website or product that is compelling, appealing, and easy to use and one that is unremarkable, frustrating, and complicated? The answer is research.
At Evans Hunt, our mission is to create experiences that powerfully combine strategy, creative, and technology. As a Senior User Researcher, your role is to discover actionable insights by asking the right questions, empathizing with users, and going beyond what users say to reveal what users want.
Your addition to the team will extend our capabilities, build internal capacity, and push the status quo for how we search for insights and inspiration.
Who we're looking for
If your professional or academic experience has provided you with a human-centred lens of exploring people's behaviour and making sense of data––we want to hear from you.
We believe that the strongest researchers can combine their research skills with another discipline or angle and use these perspectives to deepen their impact at an organization. Before coming to work with us, our current Research Lead worked at a public relations firm, and before that at a non-partisan think tank writing about issues related to energy and the environment.
If the person below sounds like you, you should definitely apply.
- You're a mixed-methods researcher. You have a strong foundational knowledge of qualitative and quantitative tools and techniques and know when to use and combine different approaches.
- You're an effective communicator. You have a knack for simplifying complicated concepts and others would describe your style as "clear" and accessible."
- You're a storyteller. You aren't a one-hit-wonder when it comes to sharing your findings, bringing them to life through visualizations like personas, journey maps, or user stories.
- You're ethical. You always consider the impact and implications of your work, are transparent with your clients about the limitations of data, and most importantly, you do no harm.
- You're strategic. You believe that data, information, and insights aren't synonyms. Your insights aren't just interesting––they align to business objectives, are relevant, contextual, and clear.
- You're collaborative. You know when to hold your ground and when to adapt your approach or recommendations based on feedback. You win the hearts and minds of your stakeholders by helping them ask the right questions, probing when necessary, and developing tailored research strategies.
- You're flexible. You maintain a high standard for your work, striking the balance between rigor and experimentation in your approach and methods.
A day in the life
Working at an agency, you'll have the opportunity to simultaneously work with a variety of clients that represent a diverse range of industries. One day you might be studying the needs of job-seekers for a review site that has over 50 million unique monthly visitors. Another day you might explore how the needs between American and Canadian travellers differ and how to best localize their online experience. No day is the same.
That said, there are a few activities that are likely going to take up most of your time. These include:
- Leading a research project from beginning to end: Meeting with stakeholders, scoping projects, selecting methodologies, developing research plans and briefs, drafting discussion guides, developing surveys, facilitating interviews/focus groups, synthesizing findings, and writing/presenting actionable and meaningful insights.
- Supporting business development efforts: Articulating the benefits of research in a way that is grounded in a client's domain by giving them the confidence that you understand the problem they’re trying to solve, and communicating the benefits they’ll get as a result of the work.
- Scaling research: Working with the Research Lead to orchestrate and optimize people, processes, and skills to amplify research's value and impact at Evans Hunt.
What's in it for you
Evans Hunt is a full-service digital agency focused on the integration of strategy, creative, and technology. Our experienced team of 80+ employees delivers fully integrated marketing solutions for top national and international organizations. We’re a fun place that does good work. Here’s what we’re offering:
- Salary range: 80-100K (subject to experience level).
- Culture & lifestyle: We’re an agency and we work hard, but life is also for living. We strive to provide a respectful and inclusive workplace in which all are welcome. We’re also not much for micromanaging––you’ll have a lot of flexibility to deliver great work in ways that make sense to you.
- Office availability: We’re currently working remotely during the pandemic, with optional in-office desks available for booking, if you choose.
- Stuff: A laptop and a phone will be provided to you.
What we'll ask
There are a couple of things we’ll ask as part of the hiring process:
- Cover letter: Tell us a little about yourself and your fit for the job (it’s true that companies don’t look at applications that don’t include cover letters).
- Portfolio/case study presentation: If you make it to the interview stage, we'll request that you present your portfolio and/or applicable research case studies.