HEAD OF PEOPLE
This is a key position on the Leadership Team reporting directly to a Managing Partner.
Calgary, Alberta. While we support a remote workforce across Canada, our Leadership positions work out of our headquarters in Calgary.
We’re looking for an experienced HR professional to lead the human resources function at Evans Hunt. This is a key position on the Leadership Team with responsibility to create strategies and deliver the full spectrum of functions that enhance and evolve HR practices, programs and policies. As Head of People, you’ll shape and drive effective programs including talent acquisition; employee engagement; performance management; professional development; employee relations, retention and rewards; benefits and compensation; learning and development; and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI).
Who we’re looking for
Our ideal candidate will create and execute a vision for the People department at Evans Hunt that aligns with our goals and values. This individual will be accountable for refinement and future enhancements to our corporate talent strategy and for ensuring employee satisfaction.
If the person below sounds like you, you should definitely apply.
You are a natural leader and mentor with an ability to foster relationships with staff at all levels, to relate well with others, to listen effectively, and to ensure employees at all levels achieve their development goals.
You have deep knowledge across HR disciplines. You have a proven track record of successes driving positive impact within an organization in the areas of talent acquisition, employee engagement, performance management, compensation structures, change management, safety, etc.
You are a self-directed leader who proactively takes ownership and is excited to scale our team and company. You are an innovative leader who brings fresh ideas, tools, and methods to the table. You’ve seen what works and what doesn’t. You exemplify big thinking and are ready to put some of your great ideas to practice.
Your equal parts strategy and operations. You’ll be hands-on across the full range of human resources functions. You’re not only a strategist, but an excellent project manager with a proven ability to implement people operations strategies that drive results.
You love a fast-paced environment. You love deploying new strategies in an agile environment. Ideally you have experience and passion for high growth services firms, fully distributed workforce, with an award-winning culture – preferably in the marketing or tech industry.
What you’ll be doing
- Utilize expertise to guide and advise the managing partners, senior leadership team, and other senior managers
- Provide thought leadership on people and organizational issues to grow our HR practices and ensure alignment on the company’s goals and values.
- Partner with department heads on all people management activities including organizational structure, team growth, career paths, performance management, promotions, recognition and rewards.
- Overall accountability for the acquisition of top talent across all positions to meet our project requirements and growth strategy.
- Help to drive optimal hiring decisions in partnership with the heads of our departments and talent acquisition specialists, both for immediate openings and longer-term strategic hires.
- Implement training for hiring managers around hiring for our core values and capabilities, as well as DEI and other best practices.
- Define all people operations processes including performance review cycles, compensation reviews and planning, benefits administration, and legal and regulatory compliance as it relates to employment and ensure that we evolve our processes appropriately as we scale.
- Oversee employee onboarding and offboarding, providing support and working with department heads and hiring managers.
- Ensure the Employee Handbook is kept up to date and make recommendations to Leadership for policy enhancements.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and stay current with employment legislation to advise management on needed actions to remain compliant.
- Developing strategy to maximize retention of our most valuable employees and help drive a high-performance mindset that focuses on career development and growth.
- Review and perform employee check-ins, exit interviews, and employee surveys, and look for external sources of insight and new ideas to continually develop recommendations and improvements for our employee experience, leadership practices and employee management.
- Own and manage effective internal communications including new hires, company updates, policy changes, event information, and town halls
Staff Training and Professional Development
- Work with managers to ensure all staff have annual performance development plans. Identify training requirements and design learning and goal development to enable all team members to grow in their roles and careers, through a mix of internal and external available resources.
- Manage recruiting and placement into intern roles. Oversee intern experience and cross-department training opportunities, and support evaluation of interns at end of program for potential future employment.
- Oversee compensation and benefits programs, including job description and classification, salary structure and salary adjustments. Assess the competitiveness of compensation programs and benefits against relevant markets and make recommendations for improvements and changes.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Work closely with our Leadership Team to create and support DEI initiatives that remove barriers and foster inclusion and equity for all.
- Work in conjunction with key stakeholders including, the employee DEI Committee and external DEI consultants, to collaboratively develop policies that are fair and consistent for the whole workforce.
- Work with the DEI Committee to advance DEI knowledge, resources, best practices and experience to help leaders and team members build capabilities.
What's in it for you?
Evans Hunt is a full-service digital agency focused on the integration of strategy, creative, and technology. Our experienced team of 100+ employees delivers complete marketing solutions for top local, national and international organizations. We’re a fun place that does great work. Here’s what we’re offering:
- Salary: Salary range for this position starts at $125,000 and is dependent on experience.
- Culture & lifestyle: We’re an agency and take pride in our work, but family and wellbeing need nurturing too, so you’ll have flexible hours and lots of opportunity to establish your own work style. A respectful and inclusive workplace in which all are welcome is important to us and we’re not much for micromanaging.
- Office availability: We have a hybrid work environment, so you’ll decide what balance of office and remote work makes sense for the role.
- Stuff: A laptop and a phone will be provided, along with health and dental benefits, a health spending account, and some other nice perks.
What we’ll ask
There are a couple of things we’ll ask you to submit when applying for this role:
- Cover letter: Tell us a little about yourself and your fit for the job (it’s true that companies don’t look at applications that don’t include cover letters).
- Resume: Please provide a detailed resume with your cover letter. This is a Leadership position, so we don’t expect you to squeeze everything you’ve done on a single page .
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Evans Hunt embraces and encourages the differences and characteristics that make our employees unique. The rich perspectives that result from DEI promote innovation and business success and make us more creative, flexible, productive, and competitive. These differences are an important part of not only our culture but our reputation and achievements. At Evans Hunt, diversity is a fact, and equity and inclusion are choices we make as individuals and leaders.